Want to avoid buying new windows? Most windows are warrantied for 10 – 20 years, but some are warrantied for life. If you’ve got old, outdated windows then buying new windows may not be avoidable. If you’re shopping for new windows there are some simple things you can do to ensure that you don’t need to replace your windows again:
- Buy high- quality windows with a strong warranty (the old adage ‘you get what you pay for’ applies here)
- Examine your window, frame and seals every once in a while. How frequently should you do this? It’s a good habit to get into when you clean your windows in the spring and fall months.
- Pay attention to your window’s seals – a separated sash frame or crumbling perimeter can allow moisture to access the interior of your window panes, which can harm the insulating glass.
- If you notice any deterioration of your windows seals, then you can sometimes caulk the area to help protect the seal and insulating glass from damage.
- Keep your windows well maintained – ensuring they have a fresh coat of paint will help protect the window’s seals further
- Keep your windows clean and dry to avoid mold, mildew or other contaminants that can damage the window’s seal or frame.
Sometimes you can’t avoid buying new windows. Contact the experts at Custom Window Designs for a free estimate if you’re concerned about the condition of your windows.